Thursday 15 September 2011

The Law Of Flexibility

You’ve all heard of the expression ‘going with the flow’ – well, sometimes it’s easier said than done. I think the trick is to ‘embrace’ the experience (flow), move through it, and accept wherever it’s taking you, even if you don’t like where you’re being taken. Those who develop the ability to bend and experience a situation fully, and without judgment, are those who truly come out on top. There’s great strength in being flexible.

Case in point – I was trying so hard to fit into an outmoded paradigm (traditional publishing) that I literally seized my lower back muscles. It’s taken months to loosen up. Literally. And I’m still a little stiff to this day, but I know the tension is easing and I feel better than I’ve felt in a while since I’ve adapted to the idea of ebook publishing. Truth is, I wasn’t prepared to be flexible when it came time to send out my Last Timekeepers novel. Nope. I was bent on (pun intended) acquiring a literary agent and then a traditional publishing company deal. Honestly, who knew ebooks would take off like they have? Now that’s what I call a lot of resistance!

The Law of Flexibility states: When pushed, pull; when pulled, push; and when a force comes toward you, get out of the way! It is a great lesson, and offers a magnificent opportunity to learn something of value. By being flexible, you open new doors to a new life; you become adaptable and present.

Remember: Always fall in with what you’re asked to accept. Fall in with it and turn it your way – Robert Frost.

No comments:

Post a Comment