Thursday 8 December 2011

Authors In The Limelight: S. G. Rogers

I want to thank and welcome, Suzanne Rogers for sharing her personal writing journey with us on my blog today. Her book, The Last Great Wizard of Yden, is now available at your favorite on-line bookstore.

How long have you been writing, Suzanne? 

Since I was a little girl, really.  Writing was one of those things that helped get me through school.  I was an avid reader as well, and I used to read stories and think about what I’d have done differently if I’d been the author.  Now I get to write the stories I’d like to read.

Where did you get your idea and inspiration to write The Last Great Wizard of Yden? 

Yden started out as a screenplay in a writing workshop, and thereafter I decided to turn it into a novel.  I’ve always enjoyed the idea of alternate universes and fantasy worlds, and I wanted to tell the story of a young artist who discovers his inner magic. I also wanted to fashion a role model for my own son.

What sets The Last Great Wizard of Yden apart from other books in the same genre?

The book has frequently been compared to the Harry Potter and Percy Jackson series, and of course that’s great.  But the biggest difference might be the world-building aspect of the magical planet Yden.  It’s got its own history, political upheaval and rules for working magic. Wizards grow up in clans and there is a lot of conflict between them.  Add to the mix some bloodthirsty warlords and magical creatures, and you’ve got the perfect world for a cracking good story.

As an author, Suzanne, what is your writing process?

I begin with the characters, always.  Then I test out pivotal scenes in my head until something begs to be written.  Some stories lend themselves to plotting and others seem to want to write themselves.  I enjoy the latter far more because that sort of writing feels the most like creative discovery.

How long did it take for you to start and finish The Last Great Wizard of Yden? 

The original novel took me about five months to write.  But it was written in 1st person point of view.  For my publisher to consider publishing the title, however, I had to rewrite it from 1st to 3rd person point of view.  That painful process took me another month.

Do you have any advice for other writers, Suzanne?

Don’t quit.  Let criticism help you write better.  Don’t ever stop trying to improve your craft.  Oh, and after that learn how to market your product because writing is a business.

Agreed - authors need to be prepared for the business end of writing. So, what’s next for S. G. Rogers the author?

2012 will be a very busy one for me!  I have several fantasy novelettes being published, a romantic fantasy novella, and two fantasy adventures coming out loosely based on Nordic mythology.  Then there are the two sequels to The Last Great Wizard of Yden to publish.  It’s a very exciting time.

Okay, here’s one for me, since I’m writing a time travel series – If you could time travel anywhere into Earth’s past, where would you go and why?

I think living in Europe during the Renaissance would have been something special.  Was there something in the water that sparked so much creativity?  Ancient Rome might have been cool, too, for much the same reason.  I suspect when it comes right down to it, people who lived in these ancient societies weren’t too much different than they are now.

Excerpt:
After his father is kidnapped, sixteen-year-old Jon stumbles across a closely guarded family secret--one that will challenge everything he has ever believed about his father and himself.  A magical ring his father leaves behind unlocks a portal to another dimension, but in using it, Jon unwittingly unchains the forces of evil. A crisis develops when a malevolent wizard transports to Earth to kidnap Jon’s would-be girlfriend.  With the help of some unlikely schoolmates, and a warrior princess from Yden, Jon embarks on a dangerous quest to free his friend and his father from the most vicious wizard the magical world has ever known.  In the end, Jon will be forced to fight for his life as he attempts to rescue the last great wizard of Yden.

Links:
$2.99 e-book at Astraea Press:  http://tinyurl.com/87xh4az, Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/3doybdm, orBN.com:  http://tinyurl.com/7kkesmh

To follow S.G. Rogers, visit her blog at www.childofyden.wordpress.com
Twitter @suzannegrogers or visit her on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SuzanneGRogers


5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sharon, for letting me come on your blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're more than welcome, Suzanne! Best of luck in the book biz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Talk about busy in 2012... I feel like such a slacker. ;-D Good luck, Suzanne!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharon, that's another terrific interview. And my hat is off to Suzanne for her prolific writing and marketing. Good show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Adam, as writers, we should heed her advice! Thanks for the nod!

    ReplyDelete